Oct 2, 2013

What's Death Got to Do With It?

I realized something today while I was hypoglycemic at 63 mg/dL and more susceptible to fear: I am absolutely terrified of death. Not that that is something new. When I was nine I watched a movie about time travel while vacationing around Mesa Verde, and I realized, at nine, that one day I would die and all my accomplishments would account for naught. More than that, I realized that an eternity of total, unyielding unconsciousness was something I never wanted to experience but something I one day would. I, personally, do not want to die. Besides the fact that I engage in a lot of moderate risk behaviors, I do not want to die. I have been suicidal twice in my life, and those events were partially fueled by untreated depression, but they were mostly fueled by my previous realization that one day I will die and everything about me will mean nothing
Besides the soul-crushing nihilism surrounding my personal future death, I am also reaching the age where the people I know and love are starting to die. Yet still these deaths are mostly accidental… I feel a great amount of guilt for the deaths of people close to me… those that have stolen people who are related to me by blood in particular… but I cannot change what I did, and ultimately, even though I failed to do things that may have prevented their deaths, their lives were not my responsibility*. 
Now that I am in medicine, lives are very much my responsibility. I have a feeling that this is the source of my fear. I have always been a very good liar. I sometimes attribute this to the fact that I am a natural fiction writer, and therefore I am more readily capable of producing fictional realities in my mind. But the reason why I lied when I was little, and the reason why I occasionally lie now at the age of 24 is because I do not want to let someone down… I do not want to fail.
As a result, when I encounter a patient-doctor situation where the patient might be dead, I run back to my resident and make up reasons for not seeing the patient. I have two examples of this behavior:

The first example occurred when I was asked by my team to inform a suicidal patient that he wouldn't be able to leave the hospital until he was admitted by psych and evaluated for several days. I went to the patient's room and found it empty… But all suicidal ideationists have to have a 1 to 1 sitter, someone with them at all times…. yet here was a hospital room completely devoid of people…. although the bathroom light was on… and it occurred to me that this patient of ours may have hung himself on the water line that connects to the shower head… or cut open his veins, letting the blood pool out from around his wrists, only to let is fall on the brown tiles that constitute our hospitals bathroom floors. WHAT I WISH I COULD HAVE DONE would have involved knocking on the door, and upon not hearing a response from its occupant, opening the bathroom door to see if any dead bodies were mucking around. If a dead person had been found, I surmise I would have run out into the hallway and yelled "HELP", forgetting how to present patients to healthcare professionals.
The second occasion involved a patient with chronic hypotension. My intern instructed that I run to check the patient out--ask about dizziness, measure blood pressure, assess any changes in mental status--but when I got to the room the patient was fairly unarousable… he was asleep. I knocked several times on the door to this room and on the walls containing him. I even yelled out his name. Yet he did not even twitch underneath his sheets. The next step in arousing a patient would be to apply a sternal rub--basically pounding on somebody's chest with your fingertips. But I couldn't bring myself to touch this patient… what if he was really dead? He wouldn't respond to my tapping. He wouldn't be saved no matter what medical interventions were applied to him.
In both of these situations, the patient was found to be very much alive. I was acting inefficiently when I decided to enter the patient's room only to promptly leave it when I didn't get the response I wanted. 
The death of a patient seems like the greatest insult to a physician, even scoring above having your medical license removed. It tells you that you missed something. Hell, we have M&M's specifically designed to analyzed where you as a physician failed the patient.

I don't want to tell someone a patient died because we didn't check their blood pressures often enough. I would rather lie than experience that shame and guilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to say absolutely whatever, whenever.