Oct 14, 2013

A Slave to One's Emotions

On a recent episode of The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, the guest was Michael Fassbender and he talked about his experience on the set of "12 Years a Slave." It's apparently an intensely emotional and raw movie adaptation to an actual book written by an actual person in the 1800s. Fassbender, who is hella white, plays a supporting role as the incredibly cruel plantation and slave owner. Of this experience, and how he dealt with having to pretend to be a terrible person for most of his days, he said this:

"I mean especially when you're dealing with such heavy material it's nice and necessary sometimes to have light moments in between so it doesn't become all the time heavy and you get [blinded]....
so the moments you can find relief and respite you do, and other times that require it, you stay in the moment as it were."
I think this quote describes how I deal with working in hospitals. You're surrounded by so much of what is disgusting with humanity: pain, deception, corruption, death; so much unabated suffering. On the one hand, I'd like to live in the moment and experience the pain my patients suffer with them. But on the other hand, if I did that with everyone in the hospital, I'd be so drained every day that I don't know if I could function. Both of my parents are hilarious--albeit in different ways (one's abstract, surreal humor; the other's just dark and sarcastic)--maybe that's the only way they survived medicine for the decades they sacrificed to it. 

But on the other hand, I'd like to feel with my patients so that I never stop working for them. When I turn patient's into little anecdotes, I stop caring for them. When I just stare at their assessment statement and their labs, I forget that they are people who may lighten if I go talk to them, who may benefit when I hold their hand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to say absolutely whatever, whenever.