Sep 9, 2013

Internal Medicine Clerkship (Entry 1: First Impression)

So now I'm starting the third week of my internal medicine rotation, and I am loving it. These residents are significantly nicer than the surgery ones (although most of the surgery residents were definitely good human beings), and because of that, I feel like I'm getting more out of the rotation. Basically, I feel forced to learn and study on my own because not looking something up would make my residents disappointed in me and that would break my heart.
Speaking of hearts, and as an example of the previous statement made above, I finally understand EKGs. It's still very difficult for me to determine what the exact diagnosis is, but considering before I could only get rate, I think it's a step in the right direction. Maybe by the end of this rotation I'll feel and sound intelligent! The only drawback--but it's not that bad--is there's a lot of scut work. A lot of using pagers and calling people and talking to nurses, or social workers, or consultation services.
Speaking of scut work, today I was trying to decipher a note, but it was using an abbreviation I didn't know so I sent an e-mail to my surgeon dad to see if he knew what it was (I could of more easily used dr. google, but I like to keep my dad informed of my learning).
ELORA: "Hey dad! Does PCI stand for percutaneous catheter intervention? Thanks!"
FATHER: "I am not sure. That is why acronyms are not welcome in medical practice. It does make sense that PCI stands for percutaneous catheter insertion. It could also stand for pulmonary catheter insertion or pulsatile cardiac imaging. The message is TRY NOT TO USE ACRONYMS unless you are with friends, who cannot judge you. Dad."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to say absolutely whatever, whenever.