Sep 24, 2013

So this is emergent care?

My teammate and I were sitting on the plethora of abandoned chairs in the emergency room. It was an odd time of the day for people to show up--right around lunch time--and it wasn't the right weather: too cold to be outside and accidentally or intentionally get hurt. Yet there were still patients in about half of the rooms, and because we were on call, all those patients who could be deemed fit for admission had to be processed by us. While we had been interviewing a man with suprapubic pain suspicious for bladder cancer, nearly continuous screams were emanating from a female patient nearby, drowning out the sounds of televisions, beeping monitors, and phone calls. I've been getting better and better at ignoring people screaming in hospitals. But this woman was loud and persistent and every once in a while I could hear the crashing of equipment or cheap furniture, and I'd wonder why a code hadn't been called yet or why nobody had tried to administer drugs.

I was incredibly saddened that the screaming had stopped--it is secretly my dream to rush in to help with a "Paging Dr. Strong" or "Code Grey" (combative patient/person). Alas, today was not going to be that day. Our intern had disappeared again so we had little to do except periodically check up on our patients through their electronic medical records. And then... an Emergency Medicine resident swept by and without hardly stopping asked: "You medical students?" "Yea," we both answered. "I need one of you to follow me." I started asking why as my friend was already standing up to follow him--she is way more instinctively helpful than I am. "To chaperone." Only as they were entering one of the private rooms did I kind of understand. Female patient. Delicate issues. Male doctors needed a female in the room. How obnoxious and unnecessary. So this is where politically correctness was taking us, that male doctors were no longer trusted enough to perform gyne check-ups without female supervision. 

Shortly thereafter, I was pulled away by one of the resident's on my internal medicine team to help out with ABG draws and paper work and phone calls. Eventually my teammate pages me.

"Hi Elora. It's Rebecca. Where are you?"
"The residence room. Why?"
"Okay. I need to tell you something. Will you be in the residence room for long?"
I looked at my computer screen, at the list of patients who were awaiting results of labs and imaging.
"Yea I'll be here."

to be continued. 

1 comment:

  1. Really, paging Dr. Strong?

    My new allergist does this too. He's a man. A female nurse had to be in the room when he examining me. I think he was just making sure I was breathing right. I don't think he was in the room at all when I had my a scratch test done on my back. It made me so suspicious. I thought he was on the sex offender registry or something. But I knew it was probably just that they wanted a witness in case there was any lawsuit or something. Lawyers ruin everything.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to say absolutely whatever, whenever.