Feb 25, 2013

Advice from the Downeaster

Last week was our spring break (conveniently located in winter), and I spent some time in New York City before heading up to Maine to visit my older, lawyer sister. The Amtrak Downeaster travels between Boston and Brunswick, the largest town (not city, which would be Portland) in Maine with a population of over 20,000.

Regardless, I sat down next to a window, minding my own business, when an incredibly chatty older woman, her friend, and her friend's daughter, sat down in my row. I tried to quietly play Triple Town on my tablet, but I could not escape the questions and story tellings of the woman, and we eventually fell into an on-again, off-again conversation that eventually ended in me getting a free Shipyard Export Ale.

Thankfully for me, the woman was a retired nurse anesthetist, and therefore our conversation was a lot more interesting than the conversations I've had with other people I know nothing about. Pathologies and other medically related topics that came up in our conversation included the following:
  • Neurofibromatosis Type I & Type II
  • Renal Cell Carcinoma (RCC)
  • Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA)
  • Celiac's Disease
  • Out of Sync Child
  • Dyslipidemia
  • Migraines
  • Alcoholism
  • Disseminated Intravascular Coagulopathy (DIC)
  • Metastic Breast Cancer
  • Bone Spurs
  • Vaginal Birth after Cesarean (VBAC)
Incredibly fascinating! As it turned out, the group of three women had travelled down to Boston to get a better opinion on an AAA found in the friend. Originally, the AAA had been sized as a 4.7, but in Boston--with better equipment--it was sized at 4.2. And oddly! I knew exactly what that meant! 4.2 is in a lower risk group than 4.7. And so to celebrate, they had all gotten drinks and were still in a pretty joyous mood. Which is why, an hour away from Brunswick, this woman got herself a gin and tonic while also getting me a Shipyard (which is a delicious microbrew). 

Anyway, before leaving the train, she made sure that she had given me the following two pieces of advice, several times:
  • You need disability insurance more than you need life insurance--start paying into it early.
  • Keep a journal and write down the quirky/fascinating little stories that are part of your day to day life.
The first piece of advice was given to me because of the woman's personal experience: she had been a nurse anesthetist for a long time when she was injured on the job (broke her hand due to faulty hospital equipment), and found it impossible to keep going to work. Without disability insurance, her family would have struggled. A stark reminder of how important working mothers can be to their families.

And it was obvious why the latter one was pertinent--this woman had decades of really interesting stories to tell, ranging from the depressing and upsetting, to the hilariously unbelievable. I hope that this blog will function as a repository for the brief encounters in my day to day life as a healthcare professional, holding onto stories until one day I too can expound upon them with a much younger person I've capriciously decided to mentor on a three hour train trip.


Meanwhile! I love Portland, Maine. It is beautiful. It is cool. It has nice restaurants. It has nice beers. It has a lot of gay pride. It is nerdy. It is liberal. It is walkable. And it has a hospital in it! I kind of want to try and spend a part of my fourth year rotating through Maine Medical. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to say absolutely whatever, whenever.