Oct 5, 2011

BRCA1 or BRCA2? Either way, whatever this is, it's definitely new.

Sometimes it's hard to study. I desperately need to study today, and tomorrow, and the next day up until Tuesday. We have a test next Tuesday, and half of its question are from Biochemistry, a class I would love to not be failing right now. But I am. I feel well prepared, but I also feel like this is the first time in a long time that I will not be pleased with anything less than one-hundred-percent. It's possible. But a 92% is also possible, and I would find that devastating.

Has medical school turned me into a type A personality?

Perhaps. While I was studying tonight, I noticed something odd. Mind you, I was ready to go to sleep, lying in bed reading a clinical medical cell biology text book. It's a good book--and by good, I mean it has a serif font. I started reading chapter four. And somehow, I ended up sitting in front of my laptop looking up how often nipple discharge is associated with breast cancer.

Yes. That's right. Somehow I went from studying, which is important, to discovering that my right nipple is capable of discharging fluid. I believe in self-examination, sure, but what this should really tell you is that I'm studying way too much. I don't even like my breasts. To find something wrong with them should only indicate how much I hate reading text books.

I hate it a lot, I guess.

Turns out there are about five illnesses that can cause nipple discharge, and very rarely does a malignant breast tumor indicate itself through fluid production. I just wasted twenty minutes googling that information and then posting the good news to my Facebook.

This is what being a first year medical student is all about. You can know something is wrong, but you have little idea how bad it is, and no idea how to fix it.

And it's probably always cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to say absolutely whatever, whenever.