Sep 16, 2011

PMI

So the place on my chest where I sometimes hold my right hand to feel my heart beat to calm me down after I've been crying or after I've been shocked or if I'm bored and tired but can't go to sleep or if I simply want to know that I'm still alive, and if I am I'll just sit and wonder a little bit about life and death before the discussion loses me to delta wave sleep, that's the Point of Maximal Impulse, or PMI. It's where your stronger left ventricle strikes your chest wall when it pushes blood through your aorta, shortly after systole, your first heart sound. It is usually located in the mitral area of the heart, so named because the mitral valve separates the left atria from the left ventricle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to say absolutely whatever, whenever.