Feb 20, 2014

The Barometric Mind

I woke up this morning around 5:30, very briefly--thirty seconds maybe--because it was raining, and although the sound of rain beating on my apartment's giant windows overlooking the South Loop is usually really calming, the water dripping through my roof, through my ceiling, and onto my already stained carpet is quite distressing. But I didn't stay awake because at this point, a stained carpet is very low on my list of worries.

I'm thinking about away rotations and my grades and how to make myself look good for residencies. Am I forgetting paperwork? Probably. Where should I go next year? Do I want to go to Maine? Stay with my sister? Or should I go somewhere I've never been before, working in a hospital in Mississippi all by myself. Do I want to do family medicine rotations or psychiatric ones? These are the things I've been worrying about, but I recognize that my worries are not really important, just bothersome.

The patients in the psych ward, now their worries are real. Your family can't tolerate your manic outbursts anymore so they have you admitted--you promise to adhere to your medications from now on, but your family doesn't trust you any longer so now you don't have a home. Where do you go? In this already stressed out health care system, you run a real risk of becoming homeless--or as the hospital I'm working at calls it: undomiciled. That's a worry. Or let's say you're psychotic. Then the voices can give you a whole new set of things to worry about: "you're going to die as soon as you leave here" they might tell you, or "you need to be back on heroin again--that's the only thing that can help you, this anti-psychotic sh*t isn't helping and you and I both know it."

I arrive to the inpatient psych floor at 9:30. One of my patients, on the spectrum of schizophrenic to bipolar, is standing in the hallway, leaning against a wall. She looks terrible. "Good morning Miss [HIPPA compliant], you look tired, did you sleep well?" She says no. I stand next to her for a good fifteen seconds, waiting for her to elaborate, but she does not, so I slowly walk away, looking back at her as if she'll suddenly want to tell me more. Later, when I follow the doctor around like her own personal shadow, we stop by to see my patient. "This morning the nurses said you were banging against the wall and screaming, why was that?" My patient answers back something about "the voices" which I was almost positive had been alleviated by her sudden acceptance of her anti-psychotic meds.

Another patient, depressive with psychotic features, also has a similar complaint. The medications had helped reduce the voices to whispers, muttering always, no longer commanding. But this morning, they woke her up again, yelling at her. She looks tired today--much more so than yesterday.

I am a scientist--but I am a bad one. For me, personal anecdotal evidence is much more powerful than studies that have thousands of patients arranged into double blind groups and blah blah blah.... This is why when I think of sickle cell disease--how my dad's a carrier, my mom's not, but yet all three of their daughters have the trait--I think that there's more than coincidence going on with how it's inherited--either magic or some genetic translocation oddities.

Which is why I know believe that weather can make you psychotic. Two patients woke up in the middle of the night, around the time I woke up freaking out about the rain, and were brought back to their presenting level of psychosis. Maybe the pressure drop affected the neurotransmitters as much as it affected the forecast.

Just a silly, crazy, insane thought.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to say absolutely whatever, whenever.